Being in an accident that involves an uninsured or untraced driver is frustrating. Especially with how expensive insurance policies can be and it is a legal requirement. Having third-party insurance is the legal minimum that is required in the UK. It covers other people and their vehicles if you’re in an accident. 

People can be driving an insured car, but they themselves are not insured to be driving that vehicle, they are classed as uninsured. If a driver is found to be driving without appropriate insurance they could receive a fine, points on their license, and be disqualified from driving.


What is an untraced driver? 


This is someone who leaves the scene of the accident and doesn’t provide any information for the owner of the other vehicle to contact them. 

They are also known as hit-and-run drivers. Not only is this referred to in accidents with people but also in accidents with other vehicles too. This is a criminal offense and any damage done to your vehicle can be reported to the police.


What should you do at the scene of an accident?


If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a car accident, we recommend taking the following steps at the scene: 

  • Take photos on your phone: any damage to your car, damage to their car, injuries, the whole scene 
  • Take notes on the other drive: write down a description of them 
  • Take notes of the other car: make, model, registration number
  • Ask for contact information from the other driver: address, phone number, insurance details 
  • Ask for contact details of any eyewitnesses 
  • Inform the police of the accident: let them know if the driver is insured or untraced 
  • Inform your insurance company of the accident


Making a claim through the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau)


This is how compensation is provided for the victims of accidents caused by uninsured and untraced drivers. Normally when you make a claim against someone else, you go through their insurance and claim compensation from their insurance provider.

But when dealing with uninsured and untraced drivers, there is no insurance company to claim through to provide compensation for damages or personal injury. However a claim against the MIB can be made, and they could provide you with compensation for damages or personal injury.


What is the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau)


A non-profit organisation, the MIB is in agreement with the government to provide compensation for those in accidents caused by uninsured and untraced drivers. Under section 95 of the road traffic act 1998, it is a requirement for every insurer dealing with compulsory motor insurance to belong to the MIB and contribute to its funding.

The MIB also operates a green card system, ensuring victims of road traffic accidents involving foreign vehicles can claim too. 


What can the MIB provide compensation for?


You can claim for personal injury with no limits through the MIB if you have been injured in an accident. 

If your property or vehicle is damaged by an untraced driver, MIB will not pay the first £300 as when it is an uninsured driver, £300 excess does not apply.


MIB covers accidents: 

  • Car accidents 
  • Van accidents 
  • HGV accidents 
  • Cycle accidents with vehicle 
  • Pedestrian involved in a road traffic accident 
  • Motorcycle accidents 

Any and all passengers and drivers can claim compensation.


Making a claim with the MIB 


To make a claim with the MIB, it may require you to:

  • Obtain witness statements from you and anyone else involved and any witnesses 
  • Obtain reports from engineers
  • Obtain reports from police 
  • Have agents confirm the identity of the 3rd party involved 
  • Contact the DVLA, your insurer, or a foreign bureau 


MIB will only make a payment if a fault can be established against the other driver.

For more information or support on making a claim, please contact us at or get in touch with our Personal Injury Team.