Violent crimes are starting to return towards pre-pandemic levels and as a result, we’re starting to see reports increase again. If you’ve been injured in a violent crime, it is a distressing time. Knowing what help and support you’re able to access can help you to navigate what happened and seek the justice you deserve. You’re able to seek personal injury support in many cases so we want to help walk you through what help is at hand.

What is a violent crime?

A violent crime can be classed as a number of things, ranging from the threat of assault to murder.

Important to note, a violent crime is when someone threatens or physically harms another person, and also includes when a weapon is used. Whether there are injuries or not, the crime is recorded as violent where physical harm was intended.

Violent crimes include:

  • Assault
  • Alcohol-related violence
  • Drug-related violence
  • Gang violence
  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual violence
  • Hate crimes
  • Robbery
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder

Reporting the violent crime to the police

Any violent crime must be reported to the police as soon as possible. This ensures that there is not only a record of the crime but also there may be a chance that the party responsible can be caught. Later they should face judgment and hopefully be sentenced for their actions.


The CICA Scheme

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government body that operates to provide compensation for victims of violent crimes in England, Scotland, or Wales. They can help to provide compensation for physical and mental injuries as a result of the crime.


Making a claim

You may be able to make a claim if:

  • You were injured
  • A relative died
  • You saw a crime happen
  • You paid for the funeral of a person who died


The claim must be made within two years of the violent crime or you are no longer eligible to receive support.


Contact us

If you wish to make a claim, instructing a solicitor is important, as they can help you to get the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury team can give you expert advice and support. Call on 01782 662424 or email us at