An accident abroad isn’t what anyone plans for. Yes, you may take out travel insurance, but then we all tend to focus on the places we’re visiting, the things we’ll see, and the food we’ll eat.

Nevertheless, an accident can happen when you are abroad, whether this is a trip off a pavement, or something more serious. This situation can prove stressful and traumatic, especially when you are away from home, and in an unfamiliar setting. 

If you or a family member were injured abroad, you may be entitled to make a claim. 


Making a personal injury claim for an accident abroad 


Whether they happen at home or abroad, when an accident isn’t your fault you should be able to claim compensation. 

However, it must be said that when claiming for an accident abroad, the process can be more difficult due to various factors, including the laws within the country where the accident happened. 


  • Accidents when travelling 

If you sustained an accident within the hotel grounds where you were staying, you may be able to make a claim against the UK-based travel agent, through the English and Welsh courts. But if this accident happened outside of the hotel, for example on a public footpath then this process can be more difficult. 


  • Accidents when working

If you sustained an injury whilst working abroad, then you may be able to make a claim against the person who organised the work if they are a UK business or have a UK-based office. 


  • Accidents on the road 

If you were driving your own vehicle, it’s important to contact your insurer as soon as possible, even if you do not intend to make a claim. Note, it’s important to check your level of insurance and what this includes before taking your car abroad, and updating this so in the event of an accident you are insured. 

If you were driving a hire car, you should report the accident to the local police before you return to the UK, plus report the accident to the hire company. Providing all information possible about the accident. It’s vital to check what charges you may be liable for in the event of an accident. 


What evidence you should collect regarding the accident 


  • If applicable (e.g. for a road traffic accident), get a copy of the police report 
  • Write down your own account of what happened, as soon as it is possible, including all details. Doing this as soon as possible after the accident will mean you are less likely to forget or forget to include details 
  • Take photos of the accident, this can include the registration numbers of vehicles involved, the state of the pavement which caused a trip, the injuries you sustained as a result of the accident 
  • Names and addresses of any witnesses to the accident 
  • Insurance details of persons involved in the accident 


What is classed as an accident abroad?


  • Sporting injuries such as skiing or water sports 
  • An injury sustained on public transport 
  • Food poisoning from a hotel food 
  • Injuries sustained from a defective rental car or vehicle 
  • An injury sustained on the beach
  • Misplaced objects or wet floored which caused an injury e.g. a slip, trip, or fall 
  • An injury that was sustained on a day excursion 
  • Illness as a result of poor hotel hygiene 
  • An injury sustained on cruise ships and boats 
  • An injury sustained on a plane


Contact Us 

For more information about making a personal injury claim after you’ve had an accident abroad, get in touch with our team of experts. Call us on 01782 662424 or email us at